Friday, May 22, 2009

the question of the 4th cup


Last night I attended a talk about the 4th cup. Interestingly was the fact that this question was put to my theology professor one day in our class not long ago. I had never thought about a 4th cup before or what it signified. I was raised in a Protestant community and converted to Catholicism some 15 years ago, and had no idea what the Jewish association of a 4th cup had to do with anything. I have since been enlightened and once again am blown away by God's plan for our salvation. It turns out that the 4th cup used in the Jewish seder meal at Passover signifies the Passover being completed with the words, "It is finished". Now put your thinking caps on, where have we heard those words before? The words that Jesus speaks on the Cross after drinking the wine offered from the sponge of hyssop, the 4th cup, "It is finished" He is the Paschal Lamb of the New Covenant. The Passover into new life is complete. A coincidence, I think not. God's plan for our salvation is fully realized in Jesus. Once again we can see the New Testament revealing the mystery prophesied in the Old. I love this stuff, you can't make this up. I could go on and on but for now I leave you to ponder this incredible gift of revelation that God has given to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment